3. What do you see as challenges to successfully deploying/monitoring web intrusion detection?
Goal of question – We are attempting to see if the applicant has a wide knowledge of web security monitoring and IDS issues such as:
• Limitations of NIDS for web monitoring (SSL, semantic issues with understanding HTTP)
• Proper logging – increasing the verboseness of logging (Mod_Security audit_log)
• Remote Centralized Logging
• Alerting Mechanisms
• Updating Signatures/Policies
4. What is your definition of the term “Cross-Site Scripting”? What is the potential impact to servers and clients?
Goal of question –This question will determine if the applicant is well versed in the terminology used in web security. The applicant needs to be able to articulate highly technological topics to a wide audience. The second question will help to verify that the applicant fully understands how XSS attacks work and the impact to client information.