What's wrong with BPEL?
● BPEL does not provide everything that a business process needs
– This leads to proprietary extensions
– This in turn defies a decisive purpose of BPEL – to be able to exchange process
definitions between BPM workflow engines.
● No standard or recommended approach for
– Dealing with non-Web Services services
– Dealing with non-XML data sources
– Dealing with human interaction
● BPEL is hard to create by hand and modeling tools do not provide
enough abstraction (?)
● BPEL does not support the Multi-merge pattern because it lacks
support for the invocation of sub-processes.
● BPEL does not support the Arbitrary cycles pattern
● Model synchronization is a general BPM challenge